Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rat Race Exit Strategy

I have been stuck in the blue-collar world for almost seven years now, and I must say that I am just about done being suffocated by it. I have a job that pays well, where the schedule is great and the benefits are more than generous. In the economic landscape that we currently live in, it would be unwise to think about leaving my post. If conventional wisdom had a voice, he would tell me to take my lumps, stay the course, and be thankful for the fortunate circumstance that I am in. "Think about everyone who's struggling out there to make a buck," he would say. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression... is our lives. - Tyler Durden And therein lies the rub. I may not be struggling on the outside, but on the inside, I feel like I am losing this battle. From these past seven years, I have come to the conclusion that comfort and stability does not always bring happiness, at least not for this bloke. Conventional wisdom keeps telling me otherwise, but that's the problem: I may be slowly realizing that the number one thing I don't want my life to be is just that- conventional. So I've decided to start a new project, titled the Rat Race Exit Strategy. The goal is to say goodbye to the rat race by the time I turn 35 years old. This is going to be a personal journey to find inspiration, to regain that appetite for life that is seen prevalently but wasted by youth. It will take careful planning, soul searching, self discovery, and risk taking. I'm not asking to live a life that is full of fun, excitement, and good times. I know that can never always be the case. All I am asking for is that at the end of the day, I will have no regrets about the life I have chosen to live. So here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment